Skip to main content

Proving I'm safe

In the UK, there is an increasing culture that implies that all adults are dangerous to children, unless proved otherwise. We are terrified of a strange adult coming near a school (despite the fact that by far the majority of really nasty crimes against children are committed by family and friends, rather than strangers).

One result of this climate of fear is that we routinely expect people who go into schools on a professional basis to have a Criminal Records Bureau check - and there is going to be an even wider reaching scheme in place from next year, which has caused many protests from high profile authors, which seems to incorporate CRB checks, though I'm not quite sure how.

I've relied in the past on a CRB check done by a charity, but now I've joined an organization called National Association of Writers in Education, which will do the CRB check for me - because one of the ludicrous things about the way CRB checks are run is you can't apply for certification yourself, it has to be done by an 'umbrella organization.'

However, what really irritates me is that this is entirely unnecessary. As a visitor to a school, going in to give a talk to students, I expect to be accompanied by staff at all times. What do they think I am going to do? Knock out the staff member and have my evil way with the pupils? Admittedly, some schools I have visited in the past have been naughty about this and the staff members tend to try to disappear off to do a bit of marking, but it's usually not a problem to get someone to stay.

I'm sorry, it just makes me really angry.

Comments

  1. Yes, it's a sorry state of affairs. and what will make you even more cross is the fact that the CRB accreditation has to be updated EVERY year. I did one with NAWE, then had to get it done again when I joined onto the teaching team of New Writing South. I do believe that such a thing as CRB checks should exist, but perhaps there should also be varying criteria depending on what it is the adult is called upon to do....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The CRB scheme would be OK if a check were transportable; as a volunteer helper with my children's sporting and leisure activities I've so far amassed three current checks, all proudly displayed in the little room - one for the rugby club, one for the cricket club, and one for my daughter's school. In due course I expect I will also need one for my son's school.

    If you think three's a lot then consider those other lucky volunteers who've collected six or seven, or even more (!) whilst "helping" their various children.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I hate opera

If I'm honest, the title of this post is an exaggeration to make a point. I don't really hate opera. There are a couple of operas - notably Monteverdi's Incoranazione di Poppea and Purcell's Dido & Aeneas - that I quite like. But what I do find truly sickening is the reverence with which opera is treated, as if it were some particularly great art form. Nowhere was this more obvious than in ITV's recent gut-wrenchingly awful series Pop Star to Opera Star , where the likes of Alan Tichmarsh treated the real opera singers as if they were fragile pieces on Antiques Roadshow, and the music as if it were a gift of the gods. In my opinion - and I know not everyone agrees - opera is: Mediocre music Melodramatic plots Amateurishly hammy acting A forced and unpleasant singing style Ridiculously over-supported by public funds I won't even bother to go into any detail on the plots and the acting - this is just self-evident. But the other aspects need some ex

Is 5x3 the same as 3x5?

The Internet has gone mildly bonkers over a child in America who was marked down in a test because when asked to work out 5x3 by repeated addition he/she used 5+5+5 instead of 3+3+3+3+3. Those who support the teacher say that 5x3 means 'five lots of 3' where the complainants say that 'times' is commutative (reversible) so the distinction is meaningless as 5x3 and 3x5 are indistinguishable. It's certainly true that not all mathematical operations are commutative. I think we are all comfortable that 5-3 is not the same as 3-5.  However. This not true of multiplication (of numbers). And so if there is to be any distinction, it has to be in the use of English to interpret the 'x' sign. Unfortunately, even here there is no logical way of coming up with a definitive answer. I suspect most primary school teachers would expands 'times' as 'lots of' as mentioned above. So we get 5 x 3 as '5 lots of 3'. Unfortunately that only wor

Which idiot came up with percentage-based gradient signs

Rant warning: the contents of this post could sound like something produced by UKIP. I wish to make it clear that I do not in any way support or endorse that political party. In fact it gives me the creeps. Once upon a time, the signs for a steep hill on British roads displayed the gradient in a simple, easy-to-understand form. If the hill went up, say, one yard for every three yards forward it said '1 in 3'. Then some bureaucrat came along and decided that it would be a good idea to state the slope as a percentage. So now the sign for (say) a 1 in 10 slope says 10% (I think). That 'I think' is because the percentage-based slope is so unnatural. There are two ways we conventionally measure slopes. Either on X/Y coordiates (as in 1 in 4) or using degrees - say at a 15° angle. We don't measure them in percentages. It's easy to visualize a 1 in 3 slope, or a 30 degree angle. Much less obvious what a 33.333 recurring percent slope is. And what's a 100% slope