At the moment, Coronation Street features approximately 15 children under the age of 18. These are:
- Faye - adopted
- Craig - lives with mother, father unknown
- Simon - mother died, lives part time with father and part time with (separated) stepmother
- Amy - lives part time with mother and part time with (separated) father
- Hope - father died, lives with mother and boyfriend
- Joseph - lives with mother, separated from father
- Liam - father dead, lives with mother
- Ruby - lives with father, separated from mother
- Dev's children (2) - mother dead, live with father
- Cal's children (2) - mother dead, live with father
- Kylie's children (2) - one father unknown, the other lives with mother and father (though they were separated until recently)
- Tina's (surrogate) baby - living with genetic parents, but not birth mother
I might have missed the odd one, but that's most of them. And here's the thing. I know a 'normal' family where a child lives with its mother and father is less common than it used to be, but this is ridiculous. According to government statistics, around 75% of children under 2 live with both parents and the majority of all children live with both parents. Yet on Corrie, only around 7% of children live with both parents. And the only child with an 'ordinary' family has David Platt for a father. I mean, really. Come on.
Oh, yes, these people need a counsellor, and they need one quickly.