Skip to main content

The Rest is Noise

I must apologise to anyone who isn't interested in music that I seem to have had a string of musical posts lately - normal service will be resumed soon, honestly.

After my recent suggestion that there hasn't been a truly great serious composer since Stravinsky, I was pointed to a book called The Rest is Noise by Alex Ross. (Thanks to the erudite Andrew Furlow of Icon Books for the recommendation.) You can see this book here at Amazon.co.uk: The Rest is Noise and here at Amazon.com: The Rest Is Noise.

I'd highly recommend the book for anyone who wants to find out more about the development of serious music in the twentieth century. I had an unusually trendy music teacher, so I was very much brought up at school on Mahler, Stravinsky, Schoenberg, Berg, Webern et al, but there was still lots there that was new to me in the early twentieth century, and more so on the more modern composers.

The book isn't without fault. It's very long and I did skip read various parts that didn't interest me too much. The (US) author doesn't cover British composers enough - you'd think Britten was the only 20th century British composer, which is a little unfair. And his most modern section omits many of the better known modern composers. Even so, it's a very useful book and one that I'll be adding to my library.

Does it change my opinion? No, not in the slightest. If anything it reinforces the idea that Stravinsky was the last great, with the likes of Mahler, (R) Strauss, Schoenberg, Poulenc and Shostakovitch nibbling at his heels, but never achieving the same true greatness. Equally it seems to support the assessment that the Cage, Glass, Stockhausen etc. never achieved and never will achieve public acceptance or true greatness, that they remain music of the intellect, not music that really grabs people and enthralls them. Like much modern 'art', I'd suggest anything you have to have explained to appreciate it isn't very good art.

One thing this has done is encourage me to revisit some old favourites - so I will be digging out the Mahler and Stravinsky recordings - and visit for the first time since school some Schoenberg et al. I've tended to spend so much time listening to Tudorbethan church music (still unrivalled), that I've neglected this stuff. That reminds of one other slight flaw in Ross's book. To read it, you would think that serious music has always previously used major or minor keys, and the modernists were the first to move away from this. But when you go back to the Tudorbethan stuff, the concept of keys hadn't been invented yet. You get strange effects, like what is in essence using one key for ascending notes and another for descending notes simultaneously. You get those piercing clashes that the likes of John Sheppard are so fond of, that make you think 'He can't do that!' But he does. I think that's why my favourites are either old or modern - in the classical rump of serious music post Bach and pre Mahler they stuck to the rules too much.

Comments

  1. You should also look up on YouTube the brilliant videos of Howard Goodall's 4-episode series, "How Music Works" - the episodes are dedicated to Melody, Harmony, Rhythm and Bass - and in the Harmony episode, he talks about that tradition of the different up and down scales in Tudor music. The rest of the episodes are also great fun and very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd second that - I thought the series was excellent.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I hate opera

If I'm honest, the title of this post is an exaggeration to make a point. I don't really hate opera. There are a couple of operas - notably Monteverdi's Incoranazione di Poppea and Purcell's Dido & Aeneas - that I quite like. But what I do find truly sickening is the reverence with which opera is treated, as if it were some particularly great art form. Nowhere was this more obvious than in ITV's recent gut-wrenchingly awful series Pop Star to Opera Star , where the likes of Alan Tichmarsh treated the real opera singers as if they were fragile pieces on Antiques Roadshow, and the music as if it were a gift of the gods. In my opinion - and I know not everyone agrees - opera is: Mediocre music Melodramatic plots Amateurishly hammy acting A forced and unpleasant singing style Ridiculously over-supported by public funds I won't even bother to go into any detail on the plots and the acting - this is just self-evident. But the other aspects need some ex

Is 5x3 the same as 3x5?

The Internet has gone mildly bonkers over a child in America who was marked down in a test because when asked to work out 5x3 by repeated addition he/she used 5+5+5 instead of 3+3+3+3+3. Those who support the teacher say that 5x3 means 'five lots of 3' where the complainants say that 'times' is commutative (reversible) so the distinction is meaningless as 5x3 and 3x5 are indistinguishable. It's certainly true that not all mathematical operations are commutative. I think we are all comfortable that 5-3 is not the same as 3-5.  However. This not true of multiplication (of numbers). And so if there is to be any distinction, it has to be in the use of English to interpret the 'x' sign. Unfortunately, even here there is no logical way of coming up with a definitive answer. I suspect most primary school teachers would expands 'times' as 'lots of' as mentioned above. So we get 5 x 3 as '5 lots of 3'. Unfortunately that only wor

Which idiot came up with percentage-based gradient signs

Rant warning: the contents of this post could sound like something produced by UKIP. I wish to make it clear that I do not in any way support or endorse that political party. In fact it gives me the creeps. Once upon a time, the signs for a steep hill on British roads displayed the gradient in a simple, easy-to-understand form. If the hill went up, say, one yard for every three yards forward it said '1 in 3'. Then some bureaucrat came along and decided that it would be a good idea to state the slope as a percentage. So now the sign for (say) a 1 in 10 slope says 10% (I think). That 'I think' is because the percentage-based slope is so unnatural. There are two ways we conventionally measure slopes. Either on X/Y coordiates (as in 1 in 4) or using degrees - say at a 15° angle. We don't measure them in percentages. It's easy to visualize a 1 in 3 slope, or a 30 degree angle. Much less obvious what a 33.333 recurring percent slope is. And what's a 100% slope